Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Great Chicken Escape

Let me preface this by saying this is the first time my family or I have ever had chickens so their is a learning curve. We have been keeping the chickens in the kitchen in what we referred to as their play pen. The play pen is a cordoned off area, lined with newspaper, designed to contain them, but also give them some room to run.  The walls of the play pen were not very tall and I bet you know where this story is going! Needless to say we left the house to run a few errands and came home to chicks gone wild! They had been running all around the kitchen and living room and left a few presents around for us to clean up. Not their fault we should have known better. The chicks are now living in "affordable housing", but at least they have windows. They have been growing quick, I think we will be moving them, and their "housing", down to the basement. I also think it will still be at least a few weeks before they can go outside.

No comments: